In the past week, 3 chimney fires were reported in the news. There were two chimney fires in Park Ridge, one was in a townhouse, and the third chimney fire was in Kenosha, WI. Just in December, chimney fires were reported in Lake Zurich as well as in Springfield.
As everyone is inundated with information each day, it’s easy to push this one off to the side. “It won’t happen to me.” But it can. On average, according to CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) there are over 22,000 fireplace, chimney, and chimney connector fires each year across the country. These could have all been avoided.
That’s why we communicate valuable information to you each month. Our job is to keep you and your family safe as well as help you save energy by taking care of your fireplace and chimney. We take many extra steps to ensure that each of our technicians are Certified and keep current with continuing education.
So when you get a Superior Chimney 14 point inspection with pictures to show you what’s going on, you can see that we’ve taken all the steps necessary to ensure a healthy and safe environment.
What can Cause a Chimney Fire?
Chimney fires are often caused by either a buildup of creosote, which is a byproduct of burned wood, or cracks in the fire clay flue tile liner. Both causes of chimney fires are preventable with a chimney and fireplace inspection each year.
Ways to Identify a Chimney Fire
- A loud crackling sound or a popping noise
- Dense, thick smoke coming into the fireplace and your home
- Dense, thick smoke coming out of the top of the chimney
- Flames coming out of the chimney, either top or bottom
- A roaring sound. Some say it sounds like a train or low flying airplane
- Slow burning chimney fires are very dangerous as most often they go unnoticed
If any of these do occur, get out of the house and call the fire department. Let them check it out and take care of the house.
Top 5 Chimney Preventative Measures
- Call Superior Chimney for a sweep, check and inspection. That’s the best way to prevent a fire. The chimney fire clay flue tiles are checked, any creosote is removed and 12 more areas and points are checked on our 14-point inspection.
- Build reasonable fires – Bonfires are for the outdoors.
- Use only split & seasoned hardwood firewood.
- It’s best to keep paper, wrappings, toys, pet hair, anything…from entering or being near the fireplace.
- Install a quality chimney cap, we can do that for you.
Now that you know what to do, have a safe rest of the winter. If you haven’t had a chimney inspection yet this year, get it done now so you can have peace of mind that you and your family are safe. If you had your chimney and fireplace swept already, we’ll see you again in the Spring or Summer… Beat the Fall rush! Make your appointment today! Call 877-244-6349